Bruce McGechan advises business owners if their business is ready for sale or equity raise, how to improve it and then how to exit. Exit might be through a 100% business sale, equity raise, or succession plan (e.g. MBO, employees or family members). The process takes a number of years to do well.
Research shows that four of five businesses fail to sell. This is because the traditional sales process is a poor process that fails to:
- ensure the business is attractive (compared to its peers)
- ready for due diligence
- meet the personal financial goals of the business owner.
Bruce works with the owner to value a business, compare it to industry sales, advise on necessary changes to realise a higher value or sell to related parties. Then assists implementation including closing the value gap and business sale or succession plan.
Bruce is an Authorised Financial Adviser (FMA license), M&A Adviser (Business Broker REA license) and has a BCA (Vic) and Master of Entrepreneurship (Otago).
- Selling a business (M&A adviser or business broker )
- Raising equity
- Business valuation
- Business Broker (REA) if applicable
- Investment Statement (FMA) if applicable
Company: Mandanex Capital
- Providing advice on alternative asset portfolio diversification to fellow AFAs and wholesale investors
- Advocating for Search Funds
Regulatory license: Authorised Financial Adviser (FMA).
Company: Sole Trader while we are in the Financial Services Legislation Amendment Act transition period.
- Maximises business sales price
- Maximises personal wealth
Regulatory license: Authorised Financial Adviser (FMA) for financial advice. M&A/Broker (REA) for a business sale.
- Tax Reform including Capital Gains Tax with John Shewan
- Long-Term Private Equity with Ian Frame
- A Private Capital Markets view on the Capital Markets 2029 Report
- Entrepreneurship & Early Venture Capital in NZ with Richard Higham
- Search Funds in Australasia with Alexander Simmons
- M&A and Business Sale Legal Process with David Quigg
- NZ Public Capital Markets with Sir Eion Edgar
- Curious Kiwi Capitalist Podcast Introduction
- Personal Financial Planning for the Business Owner
- Business Sale Ready? Closing the Valuation Gap with Industry Peers
- How to Maximise your Business Value through Exit Planning
- Search Funds in New Zealand: what are they and a way forward
- How to Sell a Business
- Example of Valuation in New Zealand
- The Mid-Market Business Sale Process in New Zealand
Call me today or schedule an appointment.
I'm a M&A Adviser and Authorised Financial Adviser.
My expertise comes from decades working industries across manufacturing, tourism, beverages, hospitality, digital and creative industries. I started off in Fletcher Challenge New Ventures in 1994, before moving into sales and marketing in DB Breweries, Vodafone, Cardrona, M&P Consulting and Manadanex Capital. I have been and am a company director as well as a board adviser.
I have a Masters of Entrepreneurship (Otago, with Distinction, 2010) with particular expertise in company valuation and fundraising. I also have a Bachelor of Commerce and Administration (Victoria, Accounting, 1991), and a Diploma in Japanese Studies (Keio, Japan, 1994).
I grew up in Wellington and live here with my wife and two kids, and have also lived in Tokyo, Auckland and Central Otago for many years and spent many months in the US. I have an extensive Asian, American and Australian network.