Bruce McGechan advises business owners how to sell and exit their business.
New Book, "Selling a Business with 'No Regrets'"
Selling a New Zealand Business with “No Regrets”: through using Exit Planning to sell the Asset that makes up most of your Wealth.
Selling a business isn’t a transaction. It is the start of the next stage of you and your spouse’s life. It is the wealth that will help you achieve a successful retirement.
And yet 4 out of 5 businesses do not sell. Of those that do sell, 75% of business owners profoundly regret their exit 12 months later.
The business sale process is broken. Not just in New Zealand but around the world. In the US, a new process has been developed called exit planning. This process maximises the business value, and financially and personally prepares the business owner and family for retirement.
This book applies this Exit Planning Institute process to NZ business. It has two parts:
1) Exit Planning that prepares the business for sale and
2) The business sale process.
It also explains Valuation and the other Exit Options including Management Buyout, Family Transfer, Private Equity and Recapitalisation.
It is the book every business owner should read before they exit their business.
McGechan, B.A. (2021) Selling a New Zealand Business with “No Regrets”: through using Exit Planning to sell the Asset that makes up most of your Wealth., New Zealand: Mobile Language Ltd. ISBN 978-0-473-55860-4.
- Selling a business (M&A adviser or business broker )
- Raising equity
- Business valuation
- Business Broker (REA) if applicable
- Investment Statement (FMA) if applicable
Company: Mandanex Capital
- Providing advice on alternative asset portfolio diversification to fellow AFAs and wholesale investors
- Advocating for Search Funds
Regulatory license: Authorised Financial Adviser (FMA).
Company: Sole Trader while we are in the Financial Services Legislation Amendment Act transition period.
- Maximises business sales price
- Maximises personal wealth
Certification: Certified Exit Planning Adviser of Exit Planning Institute. Regulatory license: Authorised Financial Adviser (FMA) for financial advice. M&A/Broker (REA) for a business sale.
- How to avoid Business Owners Seller’s Remorse and an Unhappy Retirement
- Business Valuation in the COVID-19 Recession
- Valuation for Start-Ups from a Venture Capital perspective
- Crowd Funding with Simeon Burnett of Snowball Effect
- Valuing a Share Sale Offer vs an Asset Sale
- Venture Capital with Lance Wiggs
- Tax Reform including Capital Gains Tax with John Shewan
- Long-Term Private Equity with Ian Frame
- A Private Capital Markets view on the Capital Markets 2029 Report
- Entrepreneurship & Early Venture Capital in NZ with Richard Higham
- Search Funds in Australasia with Alexander Simmons
- M&A and Business Sale Legal Process with David Quigg
- NZ Public Capital Markets with Sir Eion Edgar
- Curious Kiwi Capitalist Podcast Introduction
- Personal Financial Planning for the Business Owner
Call me today or schedule an appointment.
I'm a M&A Adviser and Authorised Financial Adviser.
My expertise comes from decades working industries across manufacturing, tourism, beverages, hospitality, digital and creative industries. I started off in Fletcher Challenge New Ventures in 1994, before moving into sales and marketing in DB Breweries, Vodafone, Cardrona, M&P Consulting and Manadanex Capital. I have been and am a company director as well as a board adviser.
I have a Masters of Entrepreneurship (Otago, with Distinction, 2010) with particular expertise in company valuation and fundraising. I also have a Bachelor of Commerce and Administration (Victoria, Accounting, 1991), and a Diploma in Japanese Studies (Keio, Japan, 1994).
I grew up in Wellington and live here with my wife and two kids, and have also lived in Tokyo, Auckland and Central Otago for many years and spent many months in the US. I have an extensive Asian, American and Australian network.